June 27 of each year has been set aside to encourage people to get an HIV test and know their HIV status. This day is observed as National HIV Testing Day. Contracting HIV is as preventable as not developing Diabetes. Knowing the facts and making correct conscious life choices can make the difference of living without either disease.
I want to stress the fact that HIV knows no barriers and is not immune to any Human Being, despite their marital status, age, social economic status, race, religion or political affiliate. I know individuals who have been married for a number of years then one or both have broken their vowels and engaged in an affair, which led to unprotected sex. I also know individuals living with HIV/AIDS because of this. I know single status individuals that engage in unprotected sex with many individuals. I also know of individuals living with HIV/AIDS because of this. I know if one engages in risky behavior, HIV will sneak in without any warning. I also know individuals living with HIV/AIDS because of this. I know individuals that use needles to shoot dope into their veins and then share needles with others. I also know individuals that are living with HIV/AIDS because of this. I know individuals that didn’t know the risk factors or transmission routes years earlier and are now living with HIV/AIDS because of this. I know individuals that are HIV positive and don’t know how to keep from infecting others. I also know individuals living with HIV/AIDS because of this. I know individuals that thought the virus wouldn’t or couldn’t infect or affect them; they are now living with HIV/AIDS because of this. I know HIV/AIDS destroys the body, mind and soul if allowed to run rampant. I also knew individuals that died of AIDS because of this.
The list could go on forever. Me giving you examples of people that could be infected and not know it, people that are infected and do not know what to do not to infect others; and people that know they are at risk and are afraid to get tested and so forth. I encourage anyone reading this to take the test and know your status. Regardless if you are married, had an HIV test a year or longer ago or feel you do not qualify as anyone that would be at risk, it is time to take the test. If you see someone you know in the examples above, it is time to encourage them to take the test also. Take the test today or any day regardless of your social economic status, opinion of the disease or attitude towards your own immunity. You could be at risk for HIV to enter your life, because of this.
Free HIV testing is taking place around the country today. Contact your local Health Department, AIDS Service Organization, your doctor, clergy or friend to find out where testing is being performed in your area. You can also go to www.hivtest.org for a listing of test sites. Believe it or not, once you test and know your results, you will be glad you did, I was.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Want to know one thing.What is the HIV Testing procedure followed in US now? Should there always be a pre test counselling and post test counselling?
Post a Comment