Stigma
Stigma was never a word or feeling I had ever had much dealings with prior to my diagnoses of AIDS. Immediately upon my diagnoses, the word spread quickly among my family and friends and along came the labeling of my life. Some would say I was promiscuous, others indicated I lived a seedy lifestyle while yet others never spoke a word, only drifted away. Blame was laid without knowledge causing even more stigma and hurt. How could people that know and love me cause me this much pain? The stigma hurt my soul more than the disease.
The burning desire to heal my soul and not allow the disease or the stigma to take control was overwhelming. I knew education was the key. The grandest stigma obstacle I have to deal with is right at home. I face this challenge daily when I speak about HIV/AIDS and yet, over a period of time, my efforts of education are paying off. At least now, an unheated conversation can be had or questions and comments can be made.
I will continue to speak out, educate and support others living with the label of stigma. It is truly an uphill climb to Stop the Stigma however, with more and more of us making the track, the easier the climb gets.
November 27, 2005
Christine
Stigma was never a word or feeling I had ever had much dealings with prior to my diagnoses of AIDS. Immediately upon my diagnoses, the word spread quickly among my family and friends and along came the labeling of my life. Some would say I was promiscuous, others indicated I lived a seedy lifestyle while yet others never spoke a word, only drifted away. Blame was laid without knowledge causing even more stigma and hurt. How could people that know and love me cause me this much pain? The stigma hurt my soul more than the disease.
The burning desire to heal my soul and not allow the disease or the stigma to take control was overwhelming. I knew education was the key. The grandest stigma obstacle I have to deal with is right at home. I face this challenge daily when I speak about HIV/AIDS and yet, over a period of time, my efforts of education are paying off. At least now, an unheated conversation can be had or questions and comments can be made.
I will continue to speak out, educate and support others living with the label of stigma. It is truly an uphill climb to Stop the Stigma however, with more and more of us making the track, the easier the climb gets.
November 27, 2005
Christine

No comments:
Post a Comment